There is all kinds of factors that determine where you want to live: school, career, family, they all bring us to different places. Life is mobility and always has been – Jacob took his entire tribe to foreign Egypt.
When it was time for him to die Jacob commanded his sons, “Now that I am going to join my people in death, bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite, at Machpelah east of Mamre in the land of Canaan. Abraham bought this cave and field from Ephron for a burial ground. That is where they buried Abraham and his wife Sarah; that is where they buried Isaac and his wife Rebecca; and that is where I buried Leah. The field and the cave in it were bought from the Hittites. Bury me there.”
Machpelah is known as the Cave of the Patriarchs situated in Hebron. Here is a brief history of the place:
– Abraham bought the Machpelah Cave and the whole field around it.
– In the first century BC King Herod the Great built a large, rectangular enclosure over the caves.
– From around 600-1200 AD control of the holy site bounced between Christians and Muslims.
– Through 1967 it was under Islamic control and Jews were not allowed in at all.
– Finally during the Six-Day War Israel’s original ownership has been restored.
Can you imagine not being allowed to access the graves of your ancestors?